PHASED PERMITS Printer Friendly

After an applicant has submitted plans, calculations, survey, and a Permit Application to the permit counter, obtained a process number and paid the upfront processing fees for a regular building permit they may submit a Permit Application to the permit counter for a phased permit.

The following items will be required:

  • Two sets of plans of the architectural and structural portion of the building
  • Final DERM plan review approval
  • A Water and Sewer Verification form from the City of Miami Beach Public Works Department
  • Notice to Building Official for Private Provider inspection services 

The permit counter will issue a process number for the phased permit and provide the applicant with an invoice for payment. Both sets of plans will be perforated and stamped with the “Phased Permit” stamp. Next, the applicant must obtain approval from the Planning and Zoning Department and then submit to the Building Official approval.  Phased permit plans will not be reviewed by other trades. 

After the approval of the Building Official and payment has been made, the applicant will need to return to the permit counter to obtain the phased permit. The applicant will keep one set of plans and one set will be retained by the Building Department.  Please be advised that the cost of the phased permit is non-refundable and will not be credited to the final building permit. 

The applicant may need additional trade phased permits (electrical, mechanical, plumbing, etc…..). These permits must be related (linked) to the phased permit. This will ensure that the trade permits can be transferred to the building permit once obtained. 

A National Pollutant and Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit may be required. Storm water, erosion and sediment control during construction, demolition, or related activities that impact one-half (1/2) acre or more, shall be in accordance with the city's Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) permit. 

Separate permits from City of Miami Beach Public Works Department may be required for work on the public rights of way that involve paving, sidewalks, excavation, drainage, maintenance of traffic/street closure, tree removal/relocation/planting or dewatering, etc, as needed. For applicable permits, please contact Public Works Department at (305) 673-7080.

The phased permit cost is $2000 for Commercial New Construction, $1500 for Commercial Interior Alteration only, $1000 for Residential New Construction

A phased permit is valid for six (6) months only.  You must obtain your master permit within six months from the date of issuance.