Printer Friendly Version
The following are a few Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) which citizens direct to the Public Safety Communications Unit.

Q. How soon are you going to get an Officer here?
A. Calls are rated by priority and arrival time depends on the seriousness of the call and the number of available units. Every call has a pre-programmed priority when it is routed to the dispatcher and the priority can be bumped up if additional information warrants it.

Q. Who do I have to call to get a restraining order?

A. Call (305) 285-5900. Address: Main Location; CVAC/Miami-Dade County Department of Human Services Coordinated Victims Assistance Center 2400 South Dixie Highway, Miami, Fl 33133.

Q. What procedure do I have to go through to evict a tenant?

A. Contact the Landlord-Tenant Dispute Center at (305) 375-1025 to obtain detailed information. Evictions are the province of the Sheriff's Office and vary depending on the arrangement between landlord and tenant.
Q. How will I know when to leave Miami Beach if a hurricane is coming?
A. Listen to the radio or watch television. When the National Hurricane Center makes evacuation decisions, all media are promptly advised. Keep in mind, however, that Miami Beach is considered a 100% evacuation area.  Click here for more information. 

Q. Why do you take auto burglaries over the phone instead of sending an officer?
A. If there are any mitigating factors (in progress, just occurred, description of subject, etc.) we DO send an officer. Otherwise, the call is referred to our Report Control Center where personnel will obtain the same information which would have been obtained at the scene. Usually this will save the caller a great deal of time and free a patrol officer for other calls. If you want the vehicle finger printed, you can contact the Crime Scene Unit at (305) 673-7982 once you have a Case Number. If you insist on an officer, one will be sent according to call priority at that time.
Q. How can I get a copy of my report?
A. There are two ways to receive a report. If you come to the police station, and the report is available, you can get it immediately by paying 15 cents for single pages, 20 cents for double sided pages or accident reports from the Records Unit on the first floor. Most reports run two pages. You can also request a report in writing and enclose a check. Send the letter to the Miami Beach Police Department, 1100 Washington Ave., Miami Beach, Fl., 33139, ATTN: Records Unit. Delivery time is five to ten days.

Q. What are the hours of operation for the MBPD Records Section? 

  • Open to the Public:
    Tuesday - Friday  8:00 am  to 3:00 pm
  • Fingerprinting:
    Tuesday 9:00 am - 2:00 pm
    Thursday 9:00 am - 2:00 pm
  • ID cards:
    Monday 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
    Friday 8:00 am - 12:00pm
Q. I was involved in an accident and left the scene. Can I still make a report?
A. If you were involved in an accident and left the scene, the other party involved may have already made a report. If you are in the City of Miami Beach, contact (305) 673-7900 and have a police officer respond to investigate, otherwise, please call (305) 673-7888 (the accident investigation office) during business hours and speak with an investigator. You may be asked for information to help complete the accident investigation. If no report was made, you will be given instructions on how to obtain and prepare a "drivers report" for your insurance company.
Q. How can I get a copy of a 911 tape?
A. You can get a tape copy of a 9-1-1 call. The charge is $3.00 per tape.  There is no charge if you provide your own tape.  Contact the Records Section at (305) 673-7100 (business) or (305) 673-7879 (fax) for further information.
Q. How can I get a copy of any other media (CCTV video, photos)
A. To request copies of other media (CCTV, video, photos) please contact the Records Section at (305) 673-7100 (business) or (305) 673-7879 (fax) for further information.
Q. How do I register a Burglar Alarm?
A. Click here for more information. 
Q. Why do two officers respond to alarm calls?
A. The possibility that a perpetrator is still on the premises demands that two officers respond for their safety. Even when the alarm holder advises an alarm company that an alarm was accidental, and provides a proper code, he may be doing so under duress.
Q. Does the Police Department provide a fingerprinting service for the public?
A. Yes. Every Tuesday and Thursday between 9:00AM and 2:30PM the public can be fingerprinted in the Records Unit on the first floor of the police station. The fee is $10.00 per card and you must bring your own fingerprint card, we will not provide one. We do not do fingerprinting for Immigration nor Alcohol and Tobacco purposes.

Q. Are you hiring Police Officers?
A. Call the City of Miami Beach Job Hot line at (305) 673-7777 (then option #2) for Police Officer hiring information.  You can also hear about all other available positions in the City. Arrangements can be made to notify you of openings when they occur.  Click here for more information. 

Q. I will be out of town for a week. Will the Police watch my home?

A. The Police Department no longer can monitor homes while you are out of town.  The department now takes a more personalized and preventive approach to this service.  If you are going to be absent from your home due to vacation, business, fumigation, etc, you can contact the Crime Prevention Unit, (305) 673-7813, for an appointment.

Q. Do I have to wait 24 hours before making a Missing Persons call?
A. Not necessarily. If the victim is a juvenile or endangered in some way, we take the call immediately. If the victim is an adult and suspicious circumstances do not exist, we recommend that you wait 24 hours.

Q. What makes a person or a vehicle "suspicious?"

A. What is "suspicious" is a subjective decision on the part of the caller. Manner of dress, for example, may indicate a workman hired by a resident while an actual burglar may be attired in a 3-piece-suit. A person apparently loitering for some length of time, peering into cars, on private property attempting to find concealment would be suspicious. It is up to the caller to make that decision, acting on the "better safe than sorry" principle.

Q. What is the "noise" policy?

A. Noise complaints are referred to the Code Compliance office of the City. They are the first responder to loud music complaints coming from business establishments. The Police Department does not write citations on these types of complaints.  When Code Compliance officers are not on duty, the Miami Beach Police Department will respond to the call based on the priority of calls at the time.  In most cases, however, the call will be referred to Code Compliance for disposition during their normal business hours.

Q. How long do you hold prisoners in your jail?

A. The "jail" at the Miami Beach Police Department is a temporary holding facility for prisoners prior to transport to a Miami-Dade County jail location.  Depending on jail capacity and officer availability for transport, prisoners may spend up to six hours at the jail and often times are transported much sooner.  Prisoners can not be bailed out of our detention facility, but rather can only bail out after they have been transported to a Miami-Dade County jail facility.

Q. Can you recommend a good hotel?

A. We recommend that you contact the Chamber of Commerce at (305) 672-1270 and advise them of your needs.

Q. Will the Police Department issue me an ID card?

A. No. The Police Department does not issue ID cards to the public.

RED LIGHT SAFETY CAMERAS (Click here to see more information) 

Q:   Where are the cameras located throughout the city?
A:   The camera safety systems will be installed at the following locations:

1. Washington Ave. at 17th St. – Eastbound
2. Washington Ave at 17th St. – Southbound
3. Chase Ave. and Alton Rd. – Northbound
4. 63rd St. and Indian Creek Dr. – Southbound
5. 41st St. and Prairie Ave. – Northbound
6. 71st St. and Indian Creek Dr. – Northbound
7. Dade Blvd. and 23rd St. – Westbound
8. Alton Rd. and 17th St. – Westbound
9. Washington Ave. and Dade Blvd. - Eastbound

Q:  What if I am already in the intersection when the light turns red, will I receive an infraction?
A:   No, you will not receive an infraction, the camera only records an image when the vehicle crosses the violation point and enters the intersection above the threshold speed after the light turned red.

Q:   What recourse do I have, if I believe the notice was issued erroneously? 
A:   If you feel you received a notice of infraction erroneously or if you have a legal justification for going through the red light, you may contest your violation on an appeal hearing. On the back of your notice of infraction are instructions for filing an appeal with the City of Miami Beach Special Master. 

Affidavit - Vehicle Owner of Non-Responsibility: Click Here 


Miami Beach Special Masters
(866) 814-0002
Miami Beach City Hall
1700 Convention Center Drive
Miami Beach, FL 33139

Affidavit - Vehicle Owner of Non-Responsibility: Click Here 

Q:   How much is the fine? 
A:  A red light violation carries a civil penalty of $125 City-mandated fine for first occurrence, $250 for the second, and up to $500 for a third and any subsequent offense.

Q:   Will a fine affect my driving record? 
A:  Infractions issued through the program are non-criminal. These infractions will not affect your auto insurance or driver license records.